Makes one 8″ cake:
- 240g unsalted butter
- 240g 70% chocolate
- 83g cocoa powder
- 175g egg yolks
- 200g + 15g caster sugar
- 245g egg whites
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a saucepan over a bain-marie. Remove from the heat and add the cocoa powder. Allow to cool.
- Whisk the egg yolks with 200g of caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Whisk the egg whites with 15g caster sugar to a very soft meringue, taking care not to whisk it too dry.
- Fold the egg yolk mixture into the cooled chocolate mixture until marbled.
- Fold the soft meringue into this mixture, in two batches, taking care not to over mix.
- Weigh 660g of batter into each tin.
- Bake at 160°C in a fan assisted oven for 45 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center of thecake comes out almost dry.
- Let the cakes cool completely before spreading each cake evenly with 350g of the left-over batter.
- Bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, allow the cakes to cool. When the cake has cooled, dust with cocoa powder and icing sugar.