Ma la beef tenderloin
Hutong’s head chef Fei Wang has developed his own technique to achieve a version of the sauce with an authentic spicy flavour which perfectly complements the texture of beef tenderloin.
1. Heat a non-stick pan with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, then pan fry the beef tenderloin for 5 minutes.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and keep stirring for 5 minutes on a high heat, being careful they don’t burn.
3. In a separate bowl, stir the potato starch and water until mixed. Add the mixture to the pan and stir for 2 minutes until the sauce thickens.
4. Warm up the oven or steamer and place the sliced aubergine into the steaming tray. Let them steam for 2-3 minutes until soft.
5. Place the aubergine at the bottom of the serving plate, add the ma la beef and garnish with spring onion.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g beef tenderloin strips
- 20g thinly sliced fresh green and red bird's eye chillies
- 5 chilli bean sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 5g sliced ginger
- 5g thinly sliced spring onion
- 5g thinly sliced garlic
- 1/2 tsp potato starch or cornstarch
- 35ml cold water
- 3 thinly sliced aubergines
- vegetable oil