Chocolate & Orange Millionaire’s Shortbread
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan) Gas 4. Grease and line an 8 in / 20 cm square tin.
- Bring together the chocolate chip cookie dough balls to form one large ball.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour and roll out into a square. Trim to fit the tin.
- Carefully transfer to the base of the prepared tin, using the trimmings to press into the corners to ensure there are no gaps in the dough. Prick with a fork.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until golden and cooked. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the butter, sugar, condensed milk and golden syrup into a pan and gently heat until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted. Add the grated orange zest.
- Bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook (stirring all the time) for about 10-15 minutes or until you have a thick caramel.
- Carefully pour the caramel over the cooled cookie base – take care as this will be very hot.
- Leave to cool completely (it should take a couple of hours for the caramel to set).
- Once the caramel has set, bring a pan of water to a simmer. Put the chopped chocolate into a heat proof bowl and set over the pan, ensuring the bottom of the bowl doesn’t come into contact with the water (or the chocolate will overheat).
- Melt the chocolate, stirring often. Remove the bowl from the heat and set aside.
- Pour over the cooled, set caramel and, using the back of a spoon, smooth over. Leave to cool before popping in the fridge for 4 hours – or overnight – until set.
Take care when pouring the caramel over the cookie base – it will be very hot. It is also very important to ensure it is completely cool and set before starting the chocolate topping. If you want to add a little decoration, you can ‘feather’ melted white chocolate through the dark chocolate topping before it sets.
- 12 Doughlicious Chocolate Chip Cookie dough balls, at room temperature
- 1 x 397g can condensed milk
- 150g butter
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- Grated zest of an orange
- 200g Salcombe Dairy Dark Chocolate