Salmon tartare, cucumber and caviar
This recipe by Mike Reid of M Restaurants takes the classic combination of salmon, caviar and cucumber and gives it a playful inversion. The cucumbers are pressed, pickled and juiced into a consommé for an added zing that makes it ideal served as a summer fish course or starter.
1. First, melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the capers and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until browned. Add the lemon juice and sauté for a further 30 seconds, then remove from the heat and drain well onto a kitchen towel.
2. Next, dehydrate the capers, which need at least 6 hours in a dehydrator and can be kept for up to 3 days in an airtight container. If you don’t have a dehydrator, it’s also super simple to prepare in an oven: turn it down to the lowest setting, put the capers on a lined baking tray and leave for roughly 6 hours. If you don’t want to wait this long, you can compromise by turning the oven up to 110 degrees for 2 hours.
3. Whilst the capers are dehydrating, make the compressed cucumber, which needs 2 hours chilling before serving. Put the cucumber juice and cucumbers in a small plastic bag and seal, then chill.
4. For the consommé, juice the cucumber, skin and all. Add half the lime juice, then cover and chill until required.
5. Just before serving, cut the salmon into bite-sized cubes, then drain the pickled cucumber and compressed cucumber. Add extra lime juice to taste to the consommé.
6. Divide the crème fraîche among 4 bowls, then top with the salmon pieces and pour a small amount of the cucumber consommé into each bowl. Scatter over the caviar and capers and garnish with the flowers. serve immediately, with any leftover consommé on the side for adding at the table.
For the salmon:
- 200g salmon fillets, skinned, with any pin bones removed
- 4 tsp Lemon creme fraiche
- 1 1/2 tsp caviar
For the crispy brown butter capers:
- 50g butter, diced
- 100g capers in brine, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the consommé:
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- sea salt
For the compressed cucumber:
- 2 tbsp cucumber juice
- 1/4 cucumber, peeled and cut into wafer-thin ribbons, ideally using a mandolin
- Pickled cucumber ribbons
- Cucumber flowers (optional)
- Edible viola flowers (optional)