Quinoa & Watermelon Salad
This recipe is from Vivek Singh, one of the most successful and respected modern Indian chefs in the country, with four renowned London restaurants...
- Combine watermelon, red chilli powder, mint and salt in a medium sized bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Drain and discard the liquid.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan for 1 minute, then set aside. Toast the cashew nuts in the same way, then halve or chop them and set aside.
- Whisk the lime juice and hoisin sauce and together in a small bowl to blend, then stir in the toasted sesame seeds.
- To serve as a canapé, make sure the watermelon is chilled. Sprinkle the hoisin dressing on each cube. Place on a serving tray, sprinkle over the cashew nuts and serve immediately.
- To make the quinoa salad, heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start to crackle, remove from the heat and mix them in a bowl with quinoa. Mix with the remaining ingredients and adjust the seasoning.
- Divide the quinoa between four plates and spoon on the watermelon salad. Top each salad with hoisin dressing, sprinkle with cashew nuts and serve.
- 400g watermelon with seeds, cut into 1cm dice
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- 10 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 2tsp sesame seeds
- 50g lightly salted cashews
- Juice of ½ lime
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
For the quinoa salad:
- 2tsps vegetable or corn oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 200g quinoa, boiled
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1tbsp chopped coriander
- ½ red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon