One of Barrafina's most popular desserts, Milhojas is the Spanish translation of the French mille feuilles...
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla seeds until it starts to become firm. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a nozzle and refrigerate.
- To make the custard, heat the milk, cinnamon, vanilla pod and lemon zest in a large pan and bring almost to the boil. Remove from the heat, pass through a fine sieve and set aside. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl until pale. Add the cornflour and keep whisking until it is all incorporated, then pour in the milk and mix well. Pour into a clean pan over a very low heat, whisking continuously and not allowing the custard to boil, until it is the consistency of light mayonnaise.
- Leave to cool, then spoon into a piping bag fitted with a nozzle and put into the fridge to get completely cold.
- Roll out the puff pastry on floured surface to a large rectangle about 2mm thick and measuring 45cm x 25cm. Cut this into 3 smaller rectangles measuring 15cm x 25cm. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment and lay the pastry sheets on it side by side. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the pastry is golden and risen. Remove from the oven, then take another large baking tray and rest it directly on top of the cooked pastry, gently pressing down. Leave to cool completely.
- When you are ready to assemble the dessert, take the custard and cream out of the fridge. Lay the 3 cooled puff pastry sheets on a clean work surface. Pipe half the custard onto one of the pastry sheets in lengthways strips, and place a second sheet of pastry on top. Pipe on the cream in lengthways strips and place the third sheet of pastry on top of the cream. Pip the rest of the custard on top, and smooth it with a knife. Sprinkle with almonds and dust with icing sugar.
For the cream:
- 250ml double cream
- 50g icing sugar, sifted
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
For the custard:
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 vanilla pod
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6 free-range egg yolks
- 200g caster sugar
- 80g cornflour
- 500g puff pastry, defrosted if frozen
- 50g flaked almonds, toasted
- Icing sugar for dusting