Grilled Bananas and Tamarind Caramel
Simple, incredibly tasty and quick to whip up, this is an awesome dessert. Use a BBQ if you can, however cooking in an oven is still delicious...
Start by making the caramel...
- In a small non-stick saucepan, gently melt the palm sugar and condensed milk in the tamarind water
- Continue to gently boil the mixture until the sugar begins to caramelise and the resulting caramel starts to thicken. This will not take too long, so stay with it. The caramel should be thick enough to cling to a spoon, yet loose enough to slowly pour off it.
Now it's time to grill the bananas...
- Lightly coat the flesh with the sesame oil and grill for 3 minutes on each side. Grilling the skin too helps to soften the banana within.
- Serve the bananas with generous helpings of caramel and a sprinkling of sea salt.
- 50ml palm sugar
- 1 tbsp condensed milk
- 50ml thick tamarind water
- 2 bananas, sliced lengthways (skin on)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt