Frico with Potatoes and Montasio
Frico was first developed as a hearty way to save the remainder of the precious Montasio cheese. It is still widely cooked in the region (and beyond) today...
This recipe was provided by Friuli Venezia Giulia.
- Cut the pancetta into small cubes and sauté them in a frying pan together with the finely sliced onion
- Peel and chop the potatoes and add them to the pan with a pich of salt and a little freshly ground black pepper. When the potatoes have softened, add the chopped or grated Montasio cheese and mash with a fork
- Fry the frico on both sides until a golden crust has formed
- Arrange the frico on a chopping board, cut it into four slices and serve them
- 250 g Montasio cheese aged from 3 to 9 months
- 3 large potatoes
- ½ onion
- 80 g lightly smoked pancetta
Try this deliciously fresh and zesty pasta recipe by Francesco Mazzei