Crunchy apple slaw
This simple recipe by Mike Reid of M Restaurants pays homage to the coleslaw recipes found across the southern United States, where it’s given an extra creaminess with buttermilk and condensed milk.
- The dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in a covered container in the fridge. Mix all the dressing ingredients together, cover and chill until required.
- At least 6 hours, or up to 3 days before you plan to serve, toss the cabbages, apples, carrots, red onions, garlic and chillies together in a large bowl with the coriander leaves and spring onions.
- Add the dressing, lemon zest and juice and salt and pepper to taste, and mix together. Cover and chill until required.
- 1/2 red cabbage, cored and very thinly sliced, ideally using a mandolin
- 1/2 white cabbage, cored and very thinly sliced, ideally using a mandolin
- 4 green apples, cored and thinly sliced into thin matchsticks
- 3 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced, optional
- 2 red onions, sliced wafer thin, ideally using a mandolin
- 5 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced, ideally using a mandolin
- 2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and very finely chopped
- 80g coriander leaves, finely shredded
- 80g spring onions, finely chopped
- Freshly grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
- 225ml condensed milk
- 225ml buttermilk
- 200g mayonnaise
Try this deliciously fresh and zesty pasta recipe by Francesco Mazzei