Sometimes known as burnt cream or trinity cream, Cream Catalana is a rich Spanish custard dessert with a hard caramel topping...
This recipe was provided by Joan Pallares from Hotel Can Boix de Peramola.
- Heat 1.5 l of milk with the sugar, cinnamon and citrus fruit rinds. Make sure not to add the white part of the rind as this could sour the cream.
- At the same time, mix the remaining half litre of milk with the cornflour and the egg yolks and beat until consistent.
- Strain the flavoured milk and return it to the heat. Once it is not boiling anymore, gradually add the yolk mixture. Keep stirring until it thickens.
- Strain the cream through a chinois sieve and serve in individual ramekins.
- To finish, sprinkle each one with sugar and burn until a caramelised crust is formed
- Milk 2l
- Egg yolks 16
- Sugar 500g
- Cornflour 80g
- Lemon rind
- Orange rind
- Cinnamon stick