BBQ Babka with summer fruits
Sunshine desserts don't get better than this
For the dough:
- Mix 40g of fresh yeast with 150ml of milk and set aside.
- Dissolve 150ml milk with a pinch of salt, 50g of sugar then add 420g of bread flour and 400g of plain flour. Keep kneading the mixture by hand then add three eggs.
- Once mixed, add 75g of melted room temperature butter. Keep kneading with the hook attachment or by hand for five minutes until the dough is soft.
- Cover with a damp cloth and rest for an hour
For the filling:
- Whisk 150g raw tahini with 100g of whipping or double cream and 100g of soft brown sugar.
- Toast 100g of pistachio in 160° oven for 10 minutes and crush.
For the syrup:
- Melt 160g sugar in a saucepan with 100ml of water, one orange rind and a dash of vanilla essence. bring to the boil and remove immediately.
- Cut the dough into two balls. Roll each out into a rectangle, roughly 30x40cm and half a centimetre thick.
- Spread half of the filling along the rectangle and sprinkle with half the crushed pistachios.
- Roll into a roulade, making sure you stretch the dough as you roll so it is tight and hold its shape.
- Cut the roulade lengthways in half, then plait and make sure the filling is showing upwards.
- Brush with egg and prove for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180° and bake the babka for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 160° and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Just before the time is up, re-boil the syrup and as soon as it is removed from the oven, brush over the babka evenly until all the syrup is used.
- If you're having a BBQ, add the babka to the grill for 10 achieve the quintessential Bala Baya babka.
- Serve with your favourite braised or poached summer fruits and a dollop of yoghurt.
- 40g fresh yeast
- 150ml milk
- 50g sugar
- 420g bread flour
- 400g plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 75g butter
- 150g raw tahini
- 100g whipping or double cream
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 160g sugar
- 100g pistachios
- Dash of vanilla essence
- Assorted nuts for decoration
- Braised or poached summer fruits
- Yoghurt, for serving